So, our guess is you love your VELUX windows but they just aren’t as sparkling as they used to be. British weather doesn’t seem sure if it wants to hail or give us a pleasantly sunny day at the minute, which means your windows are facing a lot daily, and worse you probably never know the best time to clean them. No one wants to be up a ladder during a rainstorm. Hit the nail on the head, well don’t despair! Summer is on its way... we hope, and this blog will give you all the tips and guidance needed to have your Velux windows looking like new in no time.
Not only is it important for your windows to look good on the outside for those passing by, or judgy neighbours; it’s also important that you get to admire the view from inside your home, clean windows will brighten a space and make you feel better about your house.
Now, at YARD Direct as much as we love a squeaky clean window, we know it can be a somewhat arduous task. But worry not because it doesn’t need to be; stick on your favourite tunes, follow these tips and you might even find yourself enjoying it, plus if you realise it’s not for you, there’s always the window cleaners… who said that?
- To clean the air filter, yes that part we all like to “forget” about, you just need to simply remove it by securing your window into the cleaning position and removing it from the filter rail, then use any household cleaner such as an antibacterial spray or washing up liquid and warm water to clean and then refit.
- To clean the frame you will need a lint-free cloth, ensure it is soft and clean, you can also use a non-abrasive sponge, chamois leather, or a window squeegee, just make sure it is metal-free. Warm water on any of these cleaning materials should be sufficient in cleaning your window frames, internally and externally; but if you’re wanting a deeper clean you may use mild non-abrasive household cleaners. Soft water is best, but if you live in a hard water area you can either filter your water or use a small amount of detergent to help to soften the water first.
- Things to avoid when cleaning the frames are, harsh chemicals (check your cleaners), remove your bracelets and rings to avoid accidental scratches, and it is recommended to not use any type of silicon cleaning appliance on the panes.
- On to what some would say is the most important part, the glass. Get some clean lukewarm water, again similar to the frames soft water is best. You can then use a soft cloth, sponge, or non-metal squeegee, you may have one of these from cleaning the frames, so give it a clean and reuse it. If you’re washing the inside of your window, find some newspaper, make sure everyone’s finished reading it first, or an old towel to catch the drips. Time to climb a ladder or if you’re inside maybe just a step. We recommend if you’re using a ladder to ask a friend or family member to hold it at the base to ensure your safety, try not to drop the wet sponge on their head. Lastly, you will need a high-quality, non-abrasive glass cleaner to help you get that shine. Don’t forget to dry your windows with a soft cloth to avoid drip marks and smears.
- You’ll be happy to hear you can get away with only cleaning your flashing once a year, however, if you live in a particularly bad weather area you may wish to do it more. Use a soft brush to remove leaves and debris, this will allow for rain to easily flow.
- You can wipe away any condensation with a clean, soft, dry cloth but if you keep noticing condensation on your windows this is a sign to ventilate more, open windows throughout the day, and when possible dry your clothes outside or in a trouble dryer to avoid wet clothing hanging inside the house.
- If you have hard-to-reach roof windows or VELUX sun tunnels that you struggle to reach, to ensure your safety we recommend hiring a qualified window cleaner who has the equipment to reach and clean these styles of windows safely.
- YARD Direct has many maintenance kits and other parts for VELUX windows, so if next time you’re cleaning and you think a part of your window isn’t looking as good as it used to, don’t hesitate to have a look on our site or give us a call to discuss what you may need.
If you follow these tips you’ll have the cleanest windows around and you won’t have to feel window shame when your mother-in-law unexpectedly pops around. We hope this advice helped and you can feel confident keeping your VELUX windows looking their best and lasting for years to come. For more advice or information about VELUX windows check out our other great blogs or contact us today.